Home   |   New   |   Archive  |   Video   |  Monochrome  |   Biography   |   Workshop   |   Store

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Really Right Stuff, in Europe?

If, like me, you like Really Right Stuff camera plates, ball heads, and tripods, and live in Europe, then I have some good news for you.

Although Really Right Stuff do not have any official distributors here in Europe, there are two camera shops that buy RRS components in bulk. I know this, because I asked RRS about this. Here is what Carla at RRS said:

“There are a couple of web shops in Europe who purchase from us in bulk (we give them a very small discount to do so), and then sell our goods on their own sites. It’s not a formal distributorship relationship – we don’t offer them any payment terms (they pay in advance, just like regular customers). But we will honor the warranty if you’re able to provide proof that you purchased from them. The two that I work with regularly are:

Augenblicke-Eingefangen (Germany) www.augenblicke-eingefangen.de

CameraNU (Netherlands) http://www.cameranu.nl/

So if you love RRS products, wish to avoid being hit for import duty, and live in Europe, these two shops may have what you’re looking for.

posted by Bruce Percy at 5:41 pm

14 Comments »

1. Hello,
    I have already ordered through Augenblicke-Einfangen and can recommend them.

Comment by Florian — 5 January, 2014 @ 5:11 pm

2. Hi Bruce,

Excellent news!

I’d suggest that people do compare prices carefully though – and I mean total price including delivery, VAT and customs duty. I bought an RRS tripod from the US a few weeks back and it would have cost me 10% *more* had I ordered from the EU sites (approximately).

Some of the smaller items may very well make sense to acquire within Europe, but that’s clearly not necessarily true for the more expensive kit, where possibly the shipping cost is a smaller percentage of the total.

Definitely good to know, but worth treating with care I think ;-)

Mike

Comment by MikeDGreen — 5 January, 2014 @ 9:21 pm

3. Hi Mike,

Yes it’s a very good point. I hadn’t spent time comparing prices, and you’ve given me food for thought there.

I just wish RSS would allow some proper distribution. Either they feel the rest of the world makes up such a small part of their USA market, or feel they would lose out on profit if they did. I’m not sure which.

But your point is very valid, and rather than assuming it’s cheaper here in Europe, maybe best to compare.

I know I can get some Achratec stuff here in Europe – it would cost the same, but I don’t get held up for 2 weeks with my item being queued in the UK’s import-duty-revenue-stream (tax everything that hits our shores).

Comment by Bruce Percy — 5 January, 2014 @ 9:26 pm

4. I am since a few years a client of the Cameranu.nl webshop and I can say only good or great things about them. Perfect very fast and always ready to help you. I would love that there were more webshops like them !!!!

Comment by Maciej — 5 January, 2014 @ 9:44 pm

5. Dear Maciej,

Thanks so much for this :-) And nice for you to post on my blog :-)

Happy new year!

Comment by Bruce Percy — 5 January, 2014 @ 9:59 pm

6. Happy New Year Bruce

Interestingly I found myself needing some RRS plates for my new Pentax and so ordered them from the States. Was a bit worried about delays, but RRS were the only people to do specific plates for the model, so I ordered up.

Three days later, the box arrived with a small bill to pay. Really easy and quicker then getting a delivery from Amazon :-)

Phil

Comment by PhilC — 6 January, 2014 @ 7:57 pm

7. Hi Phil,

As Mike has also said, and which I agree with – ordering from RRS from the USA is very quick indeed. So long as it doesn’t get stuck in UK duty hell.

They offer a terrific service, and my posting was not referring to anything being bad in that respect. More to do with the fees involved in import duty.

Ultimately, it would be just nice to be able to order their products here in the UK, from a UK distributor. It would make things simpler.

But as it stands, I think the system isn’t bad. It’s just that most folks need to think about the addtional costs (duty and shipping) before the purchase.

The products are great.

Comment by Bruce Percy — 6 January, 2014 @ 8:02 pm

8. Also should add that the PhotoPro Shop also stock a number of RRS items which has a European web-shop – see https://www.photoproshop.com/

Comment by PhilC — 6 January, 2014 @ 8:03 pm

9. Thanks for the line Phil :-)

Happy new year :-)

Comment by Bruce Percy — 6 January, 2014 @ 8:05 pm

10. That is true Bruce, you do need to add all the bits of cost up.

Including the VAT element I had to pay, I had an extra £13 to pay for the pleasure; so in my case I ended up paying about £10 more than if I had got the generic Pentax Kirk plates from Wex.

Good stockist in the UK would “Really” help Really Right Stuff :-)

Phil

Comment by PhilC — 6 January, 2014 @ 8:08 pm

11. Hi Phil,

But you are right – it’s actually a very good system they have at RSS. Each time I’ve ordered, the delivery has been super quick.

So I hope I haven’t given anyone out there the idea that the service is bad. It’s just that things cost more once you add up the UK government charging you. Plus the Royal mail for their £16 handling fee.

I mean, why? I paid my shipping, so why an additional ‘handling feel?’ ?

I personally think RSS would do much better as a company if they had proper distribution here in Europe. It’s testament to how good their products are, that folks are prepared to order from the USA and incur additional costs :-)

Comment by Bruce Percy — 6 January, 2014 @ 8:13 pm

12. Hello Bruce,

Funny you should mention RRS. I just received my RRS L-plate and tele lens collar & foot. It took six days to receive since placing the order. Although I must admit that I am in the States now not “overseas” anymore. (I wish Lee filters shipped as quickly)

It seems that every time I take a workshop with you, you point out something that I should have been aware of. This fall you noticed that the battery grip on my D800 did not lock solidly and allowed slight movement even when clamped on the tripod. Sure enough, when I got home and inspected the images I saw that some were not quite sharp, especially using the tele in windy conditions. I got rid of the battery grip (except for handholding) and will use the RRS clamp on my RRS ball head; which is attached to my big Gitzo tripod.

Speaking of tripods – even that came at your suggestion. The first workshop I took from you I showed up with a light “travel” tripod. Which, as I remember, you cautioned me “might not be satisfactory”. Which was exactly the case. When I got home from that workshop I bought the biggest strongest Gitzo that would fit in my suitcase.

I can remember that you said something like “if you just buy the proper gear to begin with, it will save money in the long run”. When a Scotsman advocates spending more money for something – it must be important! Sadly, I can confirm that your advice is correct. I have a collection of tripods and ball heads each slightly better than its predecessor but none capable of doing the job properly. If only I had met you sooner, I could have saved a great deal of money.

One of the collateral benefits of taking your workshop is being able to discuss equipment and technique with a seasoned pro over a cup of tea (or perhaps a “wee dram”) at the end of the day.

I look forward to the next workshop because I still have a lot to learn.

Thanks Again,
    Rich

Comment by Rich Rooney — 7 January, 2014 @ 4:13 pm

13. Dear Rich,

Thanks so much for the posting, and your comments. Glad I helped you out there, and also, glad I helped you spend some more $$$, even if I am a Scot ! :-)

Comment by Bruce Percy — 7 January, 2014 @ 5:42 pm

14. Hi Mike,

I bought a lovely Mamiya 6 camera this week and checked out the price difference for the plate on RRS’s site and the one in Europe. It was going to be $106 USD to get the plate including shipping, but €51 EUR from the company in Germany. It was a no brainer. Either £60+ from RRS or £41 from Germany.

Definitely worth looking into the prices from both stores before buying. I think the USA seems to be more expensive, and that’s not including import duty for smaller things. I would hazard a guess that larger things won’t be cheaper from the USA either. But I will keep checking both.

Comment by Bruce Percy — 22 January, 2014 @ 9:05 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.